Thursday, May 9, 2013

Biscuits and Gravy

In my house, easy and quick dinners are a must! Claire usually wakes up from her nap anywhere between 4 and 5; Antonio gets off work anywhere between 7 and 9. Around 6:30 p.m. is when I begin to cook, sometimes 30 minutes earlier, sometimes 30 minutes later... it all really depends on Sophia. I am on her schedule until she gets a little older.

Growing up, I LOVED when my mom made biscuits and gravy for dinner. I'm a breakfast food kind of girl. I have to have breakfast in the morning.. it's my coffee. I could live on breakfast meals- pancakes, waffles, cereal, oatmeal, breakfast burritos, etc.! Not to mention, breakfast foods are super quick and easy to make: :)


Biscuits
Ground sausage
Milk
Flour
(salt and pepper to taste)

PreHeat your oven according to the biscuit package (350F)

Cook the sausage in a skillet

About when the sausage is done and cooked, your oven should be heated up all the way and the biscuits are ready to go in the oven (time according to package (15-17 minutes)

The first time I made biscuits and gravy, I made the mistake of adding milk in with the cooked sausage in the skillet first. NONO!
Add flour in first to soak up the grease!! I don't have a measurement for this part, I usually just eyeball it. Just start out small and keep adding flour until all the grease is soaked up.

Also, reduce the heat to low.

Next, add in the milk. I don't measure this part either.. just eyeball it.

The consistency of the gravy is totally up to you, but I like mine kind of thick. But really, as long as it doesn't taste like straight up flour and it isn't runny, I'm fine.
By this point, I add some salt and pepper.. just a little bit. You could always just let each individual add their own amount of S&P so it's to their taste.

Me and my husband like eggs with our biscuits and gravy. He came up with this technique where you add the eggs and a little milk into this container and shake it up rather than whisking it.
Pretty nifty, huh? ;D

And wallah!
Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment