Sunday, May 19, 2013

Dollar Store Products: Yay or Nay

There are TONS of trial and error products at dollar stores; it either works like a charm, or totally sucks! I can't personally cover all items, because let's be honest, there's hundreds of products that I wouldn't personally use or I'd rather not trial and error with (or waste my money on)

Sand buckets = yay! No beaches where I live, but they're fun to play with in the pool, tub, and to carry toys in.

Cards = personally, a nay for me. I can never find one I like... maybe I just don't search hard enough?

Balls = I saw these and thought "Oh Claire would love these," but I went to pick up the blue polka dot ball and noticed they were foam balls. Nay for little ones who like to sink their teeth into their toys =/ But these would be awesome at the lake!

Glow sticks = YAY! There's bracelets, necklaces and wands!

Decorative marbles, glass rocks, and rocks = Yay. I have the light blue glass rocks in a pretty vase in my living room :)

Frames and mirrors = not a very fancy selection, but if you're crafty, you can make them all fancy. :)

Poster boards and foam poster boards = YAY! Definite yay!! 2 for $1!? Heck yes!!!

Wire-Mesh Desk Accessory Storage Cups = yay. They're rather small, but perfect size for paper clips and such. I could definitely put my key set in one.

Baby Blankets = NAY! Super thin and cheap feeling.
I don't really care for the baby section.

Boogie Wipes, Flushable wipes, baby wipes = YAY! Score!

Toilet Paper for a dollar? NAY! Maybe for RVs since I can only imagine how cheap and thin this tp is.

Storage Bins = Yay. I like to use these for my flour and sugar.

Renuzit Armoma air fresheners = yay. There's only like 3 or 4 smells, but I like the flower scent and the raspberry scent.

Anti-Bacterial Soap = yay

Sunglasses = yay and nay. They're cheap, but I suppose they could get the job done. Personally, I can't use them since I wear glasses, but my toddler breaks a pair of sunglasses rather quickly so I can't justify buying a pair of sunglasses unless they a dollar or less (like Target's dollar section, too)

Children's Books & Coloring Books = yay. They have a few hard books for the little ones who tend to rip paper books.


Scotch Tape = yay. I only buy my scotch tape from the dollar store now. They come in packs of 2!


Pregnancy Tests = yay. When I was pregnant with Sophia, a cashier told us that they just found out they were expecting and that his wife used the dollar store pregnancy test and it was correct. I've heard more BFP than BFN stories on these pregnancy tests. I've also heard that WalMart now has a pregnancy test on their shelves for only $.89.



Helium Balloons = yay. There's birthday balloons, metallic balloons, latex balloons, etc!

Trash bags = nay. 2 words: Thin & cheap.

Dog toys = nay. Dogs like to rough house and the dollar store chew toys don't hold up very long.

Hand sanitizer = yay.

Cotton Swabs = yay & nay.  They hurt, they bend too easily.. BUT I find they work good for cleaning up nail polish that goes on my fingers when I'm painting my nails.

Wash cloths = nay. The material is thin and I personally wouldn't rub these wash clothes on my face to wash it.

Batteries = nay. These batteries ran out of juice too quickly.

Socks = yay. But not the guy socks!!! I bought my husband a pair of the thermal socks and they did not do their job whatsoever. However, I bought a pair of the womens socks for when I delivered my toddler and thank goodness I did! My nurse got them dirty, needless to day.. she felt bad but I told her "no worries, I bought them from the dollar store just for this occasion." 

Lighters = yay.

Ziplock Bags = yay. I don't necessarily use the bag for food storage, but I do like to stuff poopy diapers in them to lock in the smell in our trash can since we don't use our Diaper Genie anymore.

Estracell sponges = NAY! They may look like the Scotch-Brite sponges but they absolutely suck! Not to mention, they smelt horrible to me!

Shelf liners = yay


The holiday stuff is a toss up. You can find some good things, and then some just aren't worth buying.





Is there anything you absolutely loved or hated from the dollar store?


No comments:

Post a Comment