Monday, May 13, 2013

Puppy Chow

One of my favorite sweet snack recipes is Puppy Chow. Muddy Buddies, puppy chow.. whatever you call it, it's yummy!

I absolutely loved when my mom made it. And now I love making it on my own and sharing with my kiddos.. well.. one of them. My youngest can't have any yet.


All you need is:
9 Cups rice Chex cereal
1/2 Cup peanut butter
1 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 Cup butter
1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar

I've seen recipes that call for 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla, but I'm not a big vanilla person.

Melt the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter on low heat.
Keep stirring until it is a very smooth consistency.
This is the part where you can feel like the Lindt Lindor truffles chef and scoop some up on the spoon and let it drip off the spoon all heavenly like (I'm a dork).

My personal preference is that I only use 8 cups of rice Chex cereal. I feel like 9 cups doesn't get covered completely.
Traditionally, my mom would have a clean paper bag from the grocery store when we did these next 2 steps, but I only usually have gallon ziplock bags; but pour the chocolate over the cereal, seal up the bag (fold over a few times for a paper bag), and shake up so that the chocolate covers the cereal (hold the bottom of the bag if you use a paper bag).
I've seen other tutorials of people folding the chocolate mix & cereal in a bog cereal, but I make a mess every time I do that.

After the chocolate is covering the cereal, add in the powdered sugar, seal the bag again, and shake!
Shaking the bag was always my favorite part!! :)


Word of advice, you will need a drink when eating puppy chow! I like to drink milk with mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment